Wednesday, April 13, 2022

Southern Utah Piano Pedagogy Conference

 Saturday, April 9th, 2022 - SUPPC 2nd Annual Conference was held in Cedar City after a one year hiatus due to the Covid pandemic.  It was great to be back together, and this conference was as great as the first!

2022 Conference Details 

2022 Conference Booklet - you can read through this and see how many great presentations there were.

Some of my take-aways were:

What causes stress???  NUTS!!

N - new things/novelty

U - unpredictable things

T - Threat...whether real or perceived

S - Stress that is toxic...continuous and unsupported.  


We can reduce stress in our students' piano/lesson life by asking the following:

What would you like my help with most today?

What would you like me to hear first?

What do you feel you did really well this week?

Giving our students a bit more autonomy during their lessons will help reduce stress AND help them feel more empowered and motivated.


The different panels were informative.  I especially loved the question asked the 4 University professors:  What do you wish you would have known when you first started out with your collegiate education/career?  There were some great suggestions and it caused me to think about my own...I wish someone would have shaken me by the shoulders and said, "PERFORMANCE ISN'T THE ONLY THING YOU CAN DO WITH PIANO!!!"  I might not have wasted 30 years.  However, I AM making up for lost time thanks to UMTA!!!  *_*

I loved that Dr. Allred shared her favorite duets list and Dr. Dean's.  Dr.Dean had the best list of solos and duets.  Here's his list:



No comments:

Post a Comment